The Skaggs Foundation covering the Ozark Affiliate service area of Stone and Taney Counties in Missouri submitted a small grant application to host a lunch and learn, regarding breast health, in each county. They were funded and hosted the first lunch and learn titled “It’s Time For You” with speaker Kelli Gosch, MSH, WHCNP.
The one hour “speaker series” focused on health issues for women with busy lives and making some time for self care, including annual clinical breast exams and mammograms – as a priority.
Stone and Taney counties have been identified as a priority target area for the Komen Ozark because South Missouri has:
- A high number of people unemployed and living below federal poverty rate than rest of affiliate
- Greater population of aging women
- Incident trend data show a rise in breast cancer diagnosis
- Stone and Taney Counties have a late-stage diagnosis rate trend rising
- Stone County is considered to be 100 percent medically underserved
Thanks to Cox Medical Center in Branson for hosting this very well attended event! If you are interested in learning more about small grant opportunities contact: Vicki Cowling – Director of Mission Services – Vicki@komenozark.org